Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Blog Post

In high school, my writing process was fairly simple. I did do a little bit of brainstorming prior to writing. I would start with a very simple idea, what would become the thesis for my paper once I had played around with it in my mind. I would work on some scratch paper to get more ideas down, but nothing that could be really used in any draft. Most of my process came when I got into the writing. I wouldn't get into several typical drafts unless it was specified for me to do so. I would merely write down everything that came into my mind as it came, and then I would revise it from there. Often things would get deleted or pushed around throughout the writing as I would see fit. In the following days I would think upon what I had written and step back to think on what was logical and what would make for a better paper. After that short hiatus from the computer, I would go back to the paper, reread it, and edit from there rather than starting a new draft. Sometimes I'd do this on paper so that I could easier take it with me and take notes aside what I've written to remind myself of thoughts for later, which would often be things from my original draftings, the ideas coming full circle. I would continue this process for a good week or so, then I would print out what I had and have a friend read it for me. Through that, I could get some reasonable input upon what would work in the paper, have them check me for any grammatical defects and improper phrasing, any little mistakes that I may have overlooked. When they handed that back to me, I would take their criticisms into consideration and go back to change what I had written. I wouldn't use them exclusively just because I still wanted it to be my own ideas and how I would word things, but it never hurt to have another opinion on something. I'd repeat this usually once more, then polish it. After that, I'd consider it to be done. I never really had that many problems writing in high school, my biggest problem would be to fit a more specific length, but I always managed to find a way around it without it just being meaningless filler. I also cannot work in complete silence, I have to have something running in the background. Being an avid music lover, I usually just set up a playlist of non-distracting songs to play and just let that cycle around.

No comments:

Post a Comment